Carboxymethyl Cellulose (CAS Number: 9000-11-7) Supplier in Europe
Physical Details and Properties
Carboxymethyl Cellulose (CMC) is a cellulose derivative with a chemical formula of [C₆H₈O₄(OH)₃CH₂COONa]ₙ, where n represents the degree of polymerization. It is a white to off-white powder or fibrous material. CMC is water-soluble and forms a viscous gel when hydrated. It has excellent thickening, stabilizing, and film-forming properties.
At SoleChem Chemicals, we ensure a reliable supply of high-quality Carboxymethyl Cellulose (CMC). It is primarily produced by the reaction of cellulose with sodium hydroxide, followed by etherification with sodium monochloroacetate. The reaction results in the formation of CMC, which can be further processed and purified.
Carboxymethyl Cellulose (CMC) finds diverse applications in various industries across Europe. Let’s explore some of its key uses:
- Food and Beverage Industry: CMC is widely used as a food additive in the food and beverage industry. It acts as a thickener, stabilizer, and texture modifier. CMC is found in various products, including baked goods, dairy products, sauces, dressings, and beverages.
- Pharmaceutical Industry: CMC is utilized in the pharmaceutical industry as a binder, disintegrant, and film-forming agent in tablet formulations. It aids in the binding of powdered ingredients, the disintegration of tablets, and the formation of protective coatings on tablets.
- Personal Care Products: CMC is used in the formulation of personal care products, including toothpaste, shampoos, and lotions. It acts as a thickening agent, providing desired viscosity and stability to these products. CMC is also found in cosmetics, creams, and gels.
- Paper Industry: CMC finds applications in the paper industry as a coating and sizing agent. It enhances the surface properties of paper, improves ink absorption, and provides strength to paper fibers. CMC is used in the production of various paper products, including cardboard, tissue paper, and coated paper.
When handling Carboxymethyl Cellulose (CMC), it is important to follow proper safety precautions:
- Handling and Storage: Store CMC in a cool, dry place, away from moisture and incompatible substances. Use appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when handling the chemical.
- Health Hazards: CMC is generally considered safe for normal handling and usage. However, direct contact with the eyes or inhalation of fine particles may cause irritation. In case of contact, rinse affected areas with water. If irritation persists, seek medical attention.
- Environmental Impact: CMC is biodegradable and does not pose significant environmental risks. Dispose of CMC in accordance with local regulations and guidelines.
Choose SoleChem Chemicals as your trusted supplier of high-quality Carboxymethyl Cellulose (CMC) in Europe. We offer a consistent and reliable supply to meet the diverse needs of various industries. Contact us today for all your CMC supply requirements.