Citric Acid (CAS Number: 77-92-9) Supplier in Europe
Physical Details and Properties
Citric acid is a weak organic acid with a chemical formula of C₆H₈O₇ and a molecular weight of 192.13 g/mol. It is a crystalline solid with a tart, sour taste and is highly soluble in water. Citric acid occurs naturally in citrus fruits and is widely used in the food and beverage industry due to its acidic and flavor-enhancing properties.
At SoleChem Chemicals, we ensure a reliable supply of high-quality citric acid. The primary production method involves the fermentation of carbohydrate substrates, such as molasses or corn, by the action of certain microorganisms. Citric acid can also be produced through chemical synthesis.
Citric acid finds diverse applications in various industries across Europe. Let’s explore some of its key uses:
- Food and Beverage Industry: Citric acid is widely used as an additive in the food and beverage industry. It acts as a natural preservative, pH adjuster, and flavor enhancer. Citric acid is commonly found in soft drinks, candies, jams, jellies, and various processed food products.
- Pharmaceutical Industry: Citric acid is utilized in the pharmaceutical industry for various purposes. It serves as an excipient in the formulation of medications, helping to stabilize and enhance the bioavailability of certain drugs. Citric acid is also used as a pH adjuster in oral solutions and effervescent tablets.
- Cleaning and Household Products: Citric acid is present in many cleaning and household products due to its chelating and descaling properties. It helps to remove mineral deposits, stains, and soap scum from surfaces. Citric acid is commonly found in dishwasher detergents, bathroom cleaners, and descaling agents.
- Personal Care Products: Citric acid is used in the formulation of personal care products, including shampoos, conditioners, skincare items, and bath products. It acts as a pH adjuster, preservative, and exfoliating agent. Citric acid helps to balance the pH of formulations and promotes skin exfoliation.
When handling citric acid, it is important to follow proper safety precautions:
- Handling and Storage: Store citric acid in a cool, dry place, away from moisture and incompatible substances. Use appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when handling the chemical.
- Health Hazards: Citric acid is generally considered safe for normal handling and usage. However, direct contact with the eyes or prolonged exposure to concentrated solutions may cause irritation. In case of contact, rinse affected areas with water. If irritation persists, seek medical attention.
- Environmental Impact: Citric acid is biodegradable and does not pose significant environmental risks. Dispose of citric acid in accordance with local regulations and guidelines.
Choose SoleChem Chemicals as your trusted supplier of high-quality citric acid in Europe. We offer a consistent and reliable supply to meet the diverse needs of various industries. Contact us today for all your citric acid supply requirements.