Stearic Acid (CAS Number: 57-11-4) Supplier in Europe
Physical Details and Properties
Stearic acid is a saturated fatty acid with a chemical formula of C₁₇H₃₅COOH and a molecular weight of 284.48 g/mol. It exists as a white, waxy solid at room temperature. Stearic acid is insoluble in water but soluble in organic solvents such as ethanol and ether. It is commercially available in various grades, including Stearic Acid 1865.
At SoleChem Chemicals, we ensure a reliable supply of high-quality stearic acid. The primary production method involves the hydrolysis of animal or vegetable fats and oils. Stearic acid is obtained by saponifying these fats and oils, followed by acidification and purification.
Stearic acid finds diverse applications in various industries across Europe. Let’s explore some of its key uses:
- Cosmetics and Personal Care Products: Stearic acid is commonly used to formulate cosmetics, skincare products, and personal care items. It acts as an emulsifier, stabilizer, and thickening agent. Stearic acid provides a smooth texture and enhances the spreadability of creams, lotions, and soaps.
- Candle Making: Stearic acid is utilized in candle making to improve the hardness, opacity, and burn time of candles. It helps in reducing dripping and ensures a clean and even burn. Stearic acid is particularly suitable for the production of pillar candles and molded candles.
- Rubber and Plastic Industry: Stearic acid is a processing aid and lubricant in the rubber and plastic industry. It helps in the dispersion of fillers and other additives, improving the processability of rubber compounds and enhancing the physical properties of plastics.
- Pharmaceutical and Food Industries: Stearic acid is used in the pharmaceutical industry as an excipient and binder in tablet formulations. It aids in the compression and disintegration of tablets. In the food industry, stearic acid is used as a food additive and emulsifier in various food products.
When handling stearic acid, it is important to follow proper safety precautions:
- Handling and Storage: Store stearic acid in a cool, dry place, away from heat sources and incompatible substances. When handling the chemical, use appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles.
- Health Hazards: Stearic acid is generally considered safe for normal handling and usage. However, direct contact with the skin or eyes may cause mild irritation. In case of contact, rinse affected areas with water. If irritation persists, seek medical attention.
- Environmental Impact: Stearic acid is biodegradable and does not pose significant environmental risks. Dispose of stearic acid under local regulations and guidelines.
Choose SoleChem Chemicals as your reliable supplier of high-quality stearic acid in Europe. We offer a consistent and reliable supply to meet the diverse needs of various industries. Contact us today for all your stearic acid supply requirements.