Polyethylene Glycol PEG (CAS Number: 25322-68-3) Supplier in Europe
Physical Details and Properties
Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) is a polyether compound that exists as a clear, viscous liquid or a waxy solid, depending on its molecular weight. It is a versatile polymer with a chemical formula of (C₂H₄O)ₙH₂O, where n represents the average number of repeating ethylene oxide units. PEG is soluble in water and many organic solvents, making it suitable for various applications.
At SoleChem Chemicals, we ensure a reliable supply of high-quality Polyethylene Glycol. PEG is produced through the polymerization of ethylene oxide, forming a range of PEGs with different molecular weights. The polymerization process involves the reaction of ethylene oxide with water or ethylene glycol as a starter molecule, followed by purification steps to obtain the desired PEG product.
Polyethylene Glycol finds extensive use in various industries across Europe due to its versatile properties. Let’s explore some of its key applications:
- Pharmaceuticals and Cosmetics: PEG is commonly used in pharmaceutical formulations, such as ointments, creams, and oral solutions. It serves as a solubilizer, emulsifier, and stabilizer for active ingredients. In cosmetics, PEG is utilized in moisturizers, lotions, and hair care products due to its excellent water-holding capacity and emollient properties.
- Personal Care Products: PEG is widely used in unique care products, including soaps, shampoos, and toothpaste. It acts as a thickening agent, surfactant, and moisturizer, enhancing these products’ overall performance and sensory experience.
- Industrial Applications: PEG is utilized as a lubricant, plasticizer, and humectant in various industrial processes. It finds application in metalworking, textiles, rubber, and plastics industries. PEG’s low toxicity and compatibility with many materials make it a preferred choice in these applications.
- Chemical Reactions and Polymer Chemistry: PEG is a versatile reagent and reaction medium in chemical synthesis. Its hydrophilic nature and high solubility in water make it suitable for carrying out reactions in aqueous environments. PEG is also used in polymer chemistry as a reactive polymer, allowing for the modification and functionalization of polymers.
When handling Polyethylene Glycol, it is important to follow proper safety precautions:
- Handling and Storage: Store PEG in a cool, dry place, away from heat sources and incompatible substances. When handling the chemical, use appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles.
- Health and Environmental Hazards: PEG is generally considered safe when handled properly. However, prolonged or repeated exposure to high concentrations may cause skin irritation. In case of contact, rinse affected areas with water and seek medical attention if necessary. Follow proper disposal methods by local regulations.
Choose SoleChem Chemicals as your reliable supplier of high-quality Polyethylene Glycol in Europe. We offer a consistent and reliable supply to meet the needs of various industries. Contact us today for all your PEG supply requirements.